Thursday

The Secret Wedding by Jo Beverley

http://members.shaw.ca/jobev/index.htm
Jo Beverley is one of my all time favorite authors, and I know I say that a lot, but in this case it’s true. Ms. Beverley and I go back a long way, she is the recipient of one of my first fan letters, I’m sure she saved it. Why am I talking about how much I admire Ms. Beverley? Well, because sometimes she writes a book that I don’t care for and The Secret Wedding falls into that category.

Christian meets a 14 year old Dorcas, when he saves her from the clutches of a villain. He is 16. They are forced to marry; he lies about his name, calling himself Jack Hill. Christian then goes off to fight in the colonies. 10 years later, Dorcas who is really Caro wants to get married, but first she must find Jack Hill aka Christian. And so the adventure begins. This is a travel story filled with lies, Christian and Caro travel together not knowing that each other is their husband/wife.

I loved the first part of this book, I enjoyed the humor and budding romance of these two characters. However, when I got to the second part of the book, I found myself putting the book down or skipping whole passages just so I could get to the end. Not a good thing. One of the main problems I had with it was Caro and her resistance to telling Christian the truth. The “he’s not getting my money” routine went on waaaayyyy too long. I really started to dislike Caro quite a lot by the end of the story.

So, for me this was not one of Jo Beverley’s better books. There is a third in the Secret series coming out next year, I’m keeping my fingers crossed. And by the way, some of Jo Beverley’s traditional regencies are going to be reprinted: Lord Wraybourne’s Betrothed October 2009, The Sanfirth Secrets February 2010, The Stolen Bride June 2010, Emily and the Dark Angel October 2010 (great book!)
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Warm

No comments: