Tuesday

Confessions of a Little Black Gown by Elizabeth Boyle

http://www.elizabethboyle.com/
Confessions of a Little Black Gown continues the story of the Bachelor chronicles. This story is about Thalia Langley (Tally) and Lord Larken.
I must confess that I had a little problem because I couldn’t remember the first book in the series and this one continues where that one left off or it plays a major part in this story. Tally and her cousin Lady Phillipa Knowles have broken an American privateer out of prison and will hide him throughout this book. Lord Larken is sent to capture him and adopts the disguise of a vicar to do so. Tally sees through his disguise almost immediately. There were some things I didn’t see coming and the ending has a hanger.

Anyway, I think that this book was supposed to be kind of a screw ball comedy, but it misses, although there are some scenes that had me chuckling. This is not a heavy duty book, it could have been if the author had journeyed into the hero’s past, but she doesn’t. We are reintroduced to the characters from the first book. I found her sister very annoying and keep trying to remember her from her own book, but couldn't. Also, the secondary characters of Philipa and her American privateer almost stole the show. Thank goodness we don’t have to wait a year to read their story, Memoirs of a Scandalous Red Dress…it’s out in May. I hope it lives up to my expectations. And, after what I just wrote you might think that I didn't like the book, but I did.

This is a good, fast read; with just a little twist at the end to keep your interest peaked.
Rating
Sensuality rating: warm

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I struggled through the beginning of the book, but finally settled in for a good read. I enjoyed the hero's confusion between love and duty throughout the book. Once again enjoyed Dash and Pippin's love story sprinkled in.