Monday

Proof of Seduction by Courtney Milan

http://www.courtneymilan.com/
Every author has a rhythm, which is why I'm comfortable when reading one of my auto-buy authors. When I open up a Jo Beverley or Mary Balogh, I know their rhythm, I know what I'm getting. So, when I read a new author, it is always with a little trepidation, because you never know what you're getting. When I started reading Proof of Seduction by Courtney Milan, it took me awhile to find her rhythm, so I was a little concerned.

As first books go, this was a pretty good read, oh, it didn't blow me away like Meredith Duran or even Julia Quinn when I first read her eons ago. But like Julia Quinn, I recognize a quality in Miss Milan work that as some possibilities.

There is a lot to like with this book, and the hero is one of my favorite types, the stuffed shirt hero. There is also a wonderful secondary character, Ned, who has his own book coming. And, I'm really looking forward to that one because Ned isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch and I really want to see how he turns out. The one problem I had with this book was there is an awful lot of internalizing and hardly any dialogue, so, we are told what's going on instead of seeing it.

This story is basically a story of two people, Jenny and Gareth, both abandoned but in different ways and with different results in their outlook on life. I especially enjoyed the interaction or lack of that Gareth had with his sister and Ned, very touching. And don't let the cover mislead you about the sex in this book. This isn't an erotica with sex all over the place, however what there is, is well-written and hot.

So, this is a good debut book, nothing earth shattering, but good and if Ms. Milan can add more dialogue and less internalizing she should become a top-notch romance author.

Time/Place: Victorian England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

No comments: