Monday

How I Met My Countess by Elizabeth Boyle

http://www.elizabethboyle.com/
If you don't like flashbacks be warned, half of this book is a flashback. However, the flashback is the best part of the book. With How I Met My Countess, Elizabeth Boyle is back on top. I have a feeling that not everyone is going to like this book, but I enjoyed it. It was a fast read, nothing earth shattering or hard to understand.

I especially enjoyed the heroine, Lucy. She is the daughter of a pick pocket who runs a spy school (and I'm sure that was in one of Boyle's other books, but I can't remember). Now don't get excited about the spy part, because we don't really see any spying, just the training.

The first part of this book is fast paced, and fun and I loved Lucy and Gilbert. When Lucy and Lord Gilbert meet, it is hate at first sight. Lucy is really rough around the edges, and she doesn't give a fig; Gilbert is an aristocrat who believes in everyone in their right place. They really butt heads, I only wish there had been more of this part.

How I Met My Countess had a two book feel about it, and for me the momentum in the first part was lost when the flashback is over. I had the feeling that Ms. Boyle realized she had two more books in the series and had to figure out a way to squeeze that info into a small amount of pages. So, the second half felt a little rushed.

But all in all, if you want a break from those heavy duty, brain-numbing books you've been reading, this one is for you.

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Really Warm

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Enjoyed the book and found Lucy to be quite humorous, but feel a desperate need to go back and read the previous books to remind myself of who the secondary characters were.