Thursday

What Happens In London by Julia Quinn

http://www.juliaquinn.com/
Julia Quinn is an interesting author because she peppers her books with 21st century verbiage, however, in her case I overlook it. In her latest attempt, What Happens in London, there is that occasional word, however (and this is a big however;) the book was so much fun to read that I totally became immersed in it.

I loved this book, it was funny, witty and the repartee between the hero and heroine was pleasurable to read.

Harry grew up having a drunk for a father (and that part of the book was really touching), Olivia's problem (actually I'm not sure she had one). Anyway, Harry moves next door and Olivia spies on him and she's not very good at it, because he's on to her right away. And, here is where subjective comedy comes in, I had a laugh out loud moment during the spying scene, not a chuckle a laugh, a big laugh. And, I keep remembering the moment, so I continued to giggle when I was sitting at my desk later.

Once they finally meet in person, their relationship changes from dislike to love in a most fun way. I guess I would say this book is charming.

There were only two minor qualms, in the last portion of the book a kidnapping, chase, shoot-out is thrown in and my opinion is, hey Julia, you didn't need it! The other qualm was Harry's brother Edward. Edward was headed down the same path as their father, however, the resolution to his problem was not shown in the book. But, these were just minor humbugs and shouldn't keep anyone from reading this most enjoyable book.

This book is a most enjoyable read.

Time Period: Regency England
Part of a series
Sensuality Rating: Warm
Rating:

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Loved, loved, loved this book. It had the right amount of humor, though I laughed hilariously at different scenes than you. Sebastian performing the reading had me in stitches. I hope he gets his own book. The heroine was pitch perfect as was the hero. There were such sweet intimate moments that it took me 3/4 of the book before I realized there were no sexual interludes. Great quick read. Loved it.

Michelle said...

I must say that I enjoyed this book immensely. I loved the humor in it and the story was very interesting. I think I now must read the rest of Julia Quinn's books. Sigh. I guess I will survive if they are all as entertaining as this one was.

SidneyKay said...

Michelle - Julia Quinn has a number of books in her back-list and a rather large series called the Bridgeton Family. It's eight books. My favorite one out of that series was Romancing Mr. Bridgeton. I like Julia Quinn, because I know what I'm getting with her, she's usually pretty funny. Melissa and I agree that we liked all of the Bridgeton's except the very last one. Melissa says you have a long plane ride ahead of you.