Monday

Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn

Ahoy Jerry Lewis!!!
http://www.juliaquinn.com/
When you pick up a Julia Quinn book, normally, you know exactly what you're getting: a book loaded with humor.

Ten Things I Love About You is a signature Julia Quinn, filled with sarcastic quips, slpastick comedy and silliness. In fact, there is so much humor that it hits you over the head. And keeps hitting, over and over trying to squeeze another laugh - just like a Jerry Lewis movie. And if anyone has ever seen a Lewis movie you know what I'm talking about. "You don't think that's funny, watch ME do this." Oh sure, there are funny moments, but PULEESE - not every single moment has to be a laugh-riot!

So, this particular book has humor overkill and not much chemistry between the romantic leads, Annabel and Sebastian. They are just too busy out-quipping each other.

Ten Things I Love About You is a fast-paced, quick read; however, it isn't one of Ms. Quinn's best works. I became irritated with the over-the-top humor and I didn't have any of those laugh-out-loud moments, like the ones I experienced with What Happens In London. Sorry to say, I was very disappointed in this book.

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Warm

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh no! Well I have this in my TBR and will be getting to it soon. That's too bad that there's humor overkill - I love her books and they're normally so enjoyable. Ah well.

SidneyKay said...

It's not bad, it's just I was expecting more along the lines of her last book. And, I don't want to do any spoilers, so, I'll just say sometimes animals are ok in a book and sometimes they are not. Let me know what you think when you're done.

SidneyKay said...

Let me add just a little bit more. I'm a big fan of Julia Quinn and normally think her books are enjoyable and laugh-out-loud worthy. However, this one didn't do it for me. So, I am very interested in your opinion of Ten Things.

Melissa said...

I loved this story and laughed so hard. I thought it was another win by Julia Quinn.