Tuesday

Stroke of Genius by Emily Bryan


From whence alert!
http://www.emilybryan.com/index.htm
In Stroke of Genius, the phrase "from whence" is used. Now, for me I don't care because I think it has a nice rhythm; however, there are some people (and you know who you are) who will be kicked out of the story when reading this phrase. So, just be warned, it's in there.

Now, back to Stroke of Genius by Emily Bryan. I enjoy Ms. Bryan's books. I find them light, witty and fast paced... and this book was no different.

There were some really interesting things going on with this story and I think that may have been some of the problem that I had with it. First of all it is a Pygmalion story, which is one of my favorite myths... the story of the artist falling in love with his creation. And, that part of the story was creative and well done. I believe this book could have been more than just a light comedy, as evidenced in Crispen's background story, which I found to be fascinating. I also liked Crispen and Grace's dialog - I found it amusing. I thought her relationship with her mother and father could have been explored just a little bit more. And there were other interesting things that were brought into play but never acted upon. There was Mary, Dorset and his mother, all three interesting characters, but never fully realized. I found the sex play between the servants of Crispin and Grace to be entertaining at first, but then there was too much of them and not enough of Crispin and Grace.

This book had all the makings of a more complex story, but because of word count or something Ms. Bryan wasn't able to create a really wonderful tale that would have been more than just fluff. And the ending of the story really seemed rushed.

I think Ms. Bryan needs a bigger stage for her stories. Let her have more words!!! So, don't get me wrong, this book was light and funny and I do recommend it; however, there was so much more hiding behind the edges and I really wish they could have been explored.

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Sounds good. I don't think I've ever read a Bryan book before but I like how you've described this one.



Oh, and cuz I can't find an email on your vast and utterly confusing profile, :), I was wondering if you could email me? redneyrae AT ca DOT rr DOT com. Thanks!