Monday

The Care and Taming of a Rogue by Suzanne Enoch

http://www.suzanneenoch.com/
Well, how to start with this review. Suzanne Enoch is one of my favorite authors and I was really looking forward to The Care and Taming of a Rogue. And with every page I turned I kept hoping to really like this book, but, alas twas not to be.

It had all the makings of a good story, the hero, Bennett is an adventurer who everyone thinks is dead. The villain has stolen Bennett's journals and publishes them, taking Bennett's heroics and making them his. The heroine, Phillipa or Flip, is a bluestocking who has read all of Bennett's previous books and doubts that the most recent one was actually written by the villain. Then Bennett returns from the dead and things start to happen, or are supposed to happen.

First of all let me say that I have a problem with monkey's on the shoulders of the hero everyplace he goes. Wouldn't there be crap on those manly shoulders? I really couldn't get past that monkey. I didn't care for Flip's sister until the end of the book and then she turned into someone interesting and I'm hoping for a story on her, but I don't think that is in the works. I thought the romance was a little flat and even though I liked Flip better than Bennett, she did some hypocritical things, she's supposed to be different but she wants to be courted, she faints when she receives red roses...what! Why is she fainting? And, there were other family dynamics going on, that once the book was over I was left to wonder what would happen there.

And then we were introduced to the Adventurers Club. This was a really clunky introduction into the series of books that are coming, but I didn't get the reason for the club. I'm sorry, why are these guys hiding out here? I didn't really understand the reasoning behind the club other than it introduced characters that will eventually have their own book.

Bottom line, I was disappointed in this book and partly that's because I have come to expect more from Suzanne Enoch. This book seemed to be a tad bit rushed and put together clumsily. This book reminded me of a hampster in one of those wheel things, running, running, running and never getting anywhere.

I did like the dedication at the beginning of the book, it was the best part of the whole thing.

Time/Place: Regency England, I think
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

No comments: