Friday

Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase

http://lorettachase.com/about.html

Warning: Feisty Heroine alert!

Don't Tempt Me by Loretta Chase was an interesting read for me. Interesting because Ms. Chase has the dubious honor of writing one of my all time favorite books, Lord of Scoundrels. So, I always have high expectations when one of her books is released. When I started reading this book, I thought, Oh Boy, another witty, funny, play on word romp. But somewhere along the line, it turned into a darker story and was a little disjointed.

The plot of the story isn't complicated and there are two distinct parts. In the beginning we see Zoe re-enter London society after being locked up in a harem for twelve years, and Lucien's fight against his attraction for her. In the second part an attempt on Zoe's life is thrown in. I'm not sure why, because honestly I don't think that particular plot device was needed and it distracted from the development of the romance between Lucien and Zoe. And, believe me, these two really had some problems to overcome...her fear of confinement and his fear of loving someone. And, yes his fear of loving someone is a standard romance cliche, but in this case, we really feel the fear. And, that was some good writing. I think the problem I had with this book was that it should have been either a funny book or a dark book, but not a combination of the two.

So, my final thought is that this book is written really well, with Ms. Chase trademark repartee, I just wish there had been more of it. This is an entertaining book, but there are really no new surprises.

Oh, and even though I'm not a big feisty heroine fan, I didn't feel that Zoe was a stupid feisty heroine (except for one part..if your life is being threatened don't sulk,) so for the most part I could live with her being feisty.

Time Period: Regency
Place: England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I found the first portion of the book hilarious. Loved the dialogue throughout the book. I agree there was a shift in stories midway thru that ended the humorous portion of the story, which truly was entertaining. I know Ms. Chase did it to demonstrate the fear of confinement, but there could have been another motivator to propel the story. Overall, I found the story very enjoyable. She is an incredible writer.