Monday

Bound By Your Touch by Meredith Duran

http://www.meredithduran.com/
Last year Meredith Durah debuted with the novel The Duke of Shadows, which I loved. This year she has two, Bound By Your Touch and next month Written on Your Skin. I gotta tell you, she is rapidly climbing as one of my favorite authors. Bound By Your Touch is a joy to read!

This seems to be a familiar plot, the bluestocking spinster and the ne'er-do-well rake. However, it's not. There is a real development of the relationship between Lydia and James; their conversations are often humorous, often moving and filled with intelligence. They both have well-written problems with there fathers and their sisters. And, Lydia isn't a doormat, although at times she does come close, but she has something a lot of doormat heroines don't have and that is anger. I also found her reaction to the possibility of her father's villainy to be real, I think that I would react the same way. The family relationships in this book were really quite interesting.

There is also a secondary character named Elizabeth, who is James childhood friend. Very interesting character, and I hope there is a story about her or more later about her. She's a drunk and not at all discreet about her lovers, and very complex. In fact, there are a number of complex secondary characters in this book and the loose strings are not tied at the end.

I'm really looking forward to the next book.

PS ignore the jankey cover. And, I only knew the time period because of a rather amusing bustle scene.

Time period: 1880's
Place: England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Can't wait for the next one.