Wednesday

The Secret Duke by Jo Beverley

Wigs and warts and glasses...
http://www.jobev.com/

I'm always thrilled when I get to visit the Georgian world of Jo Beverley's Mallerons, especially when Rothgar shows up. However, even Rothgar's presence couldn't save The Secret Duke from being tedious.

First of all, and this is just me, there were like fifty kazillion of my pet peeves in this book... Perhaps I exaggerate, but there were several. There was a pirate (or a fake pirate), there was a silly revenge plot, mistaken identities (lots of them), and disguises out the wazoo. But since I have so many pet peeves, I can usually get past some if the book is good. In this case, both the hero (who I should have liked) and the heroine were boring. And, you would think with all of the hiding, disguising, and evil sleazy people in this book it would be somewhat exciting, but, sad to say it wasn't. I forced myself to slog through this book; I couldn't face another DNF. But, this book took way too l-o-n-g. I just wanted it to be over.

I have a great respect for Ms. Beverley. I just wish this series could have ended on a high note. I suspect that we probably haven't seen the last of the Malleron family.

I hope not, anyway.

Time/Place: Georgian England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Warm

No comments: