Friday

Provocative in Pearls by Madeline Hunter

http://www.madelinehunter.com/
Well, I liked Ravishing in Red better than Provocative in Pearls. And, once again the first part of the book was slow. As I said before, I think Madeline Hunter is one of the better writers of Medieval romance around, but when she journey's into Regencyland sometimes there is a clunker, but what author hasn't had a clunker. And, this book isn't a clunker, I just liked Ravishing in Red better ...and here's why...

When we are reacquainted with the heroine, Verity aka Lizzie, we find out the mystery surrounding her character. You see, she faked her death to avoid staying married to Grayson. Now, I found this storyline a bit distasteful, because she didn't really seem to take into consideration what her death would mean to those she left behind. And, I wasn't really sure what she hoped to gain by faking her death. When found again, she shows hardly any remorse for the pain her deception may have caused. So, I didn't really care for her until the second half of the book.

Grayson was ok, but I found both he and Verity to be pretty manipulative when it came to sex, and let me tell you there's plenty of that in this book.

Then at the end of the book a number of plot-lines come to a screeching halt. We see a number of the manly men jumping on their horses to rescue Michael, but we don't get to be in on the rescue...he's just there in the carriage. The last we see of the character Colleen, she's walking away from Grayson with a tear in her eye...why? I don't know. I could speculate, but I'm lazy and I like to be told things in my romance novels. There are the e-e-v-i-l Mr. and Mrs. Thompson, they get a good talking to and just sort of disappear. I'm betting that there was some sort of editor chop-i-tis involved in Ms. Hunters work. It's too bad that there is such a thing as word count in the publishing world...sometimes.

Also, let me dwell a little on the secondary character Castleford. He has made an appearance in both books and I find myself becoming quite fascinated with him. He is portrayed as a complete whore-monger and a drunken one no less. So, I am really looking forward to his transformation into the hero in the fourth book, Dangerous in Diamonds. A lot of times those transformation don't work, so I'm keepin' my fingers crossed.

Even though I liked the first book better, I am hooked on this series and looking forward to the remaining ones.

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality: Hot!

No comments: