Tuesday

Sold to a Laird by Karen Ranney

http://www.karenranney.com/default.htm
Here is me beating my head against another disappointing read by an established writer. Is it written somewhere that an author becomes stale after so many books? And by the way, what a cheesy cover!

I really wanted to like Sold to a Laird, I really tried. Marriages of conveniences/forced marriages are one of my favorite story lines. You see, the hero, Douglas, is forced into marrying Sarah by the eviiiiil father. There is a silly plot-line of fabricated diamonds that doesn't go anywhere, the eviiiiil father piddles away then appears again, then piddles away. The hero says he will respect his uptight wife and not consummate the marriage, however, he talks dirty too her so he can seduce her. Another thing that irritated me was, Sarah is really devoted to her home and the people that inhabit it, but in the end that devotion just sort of vanishes and she moves on to her place in Scotland. Some of her servants go with her, but I couldn't help wondering what about all the other people that were on her land? The only person left there to take care of the land was her eviiiil father and well, he's eviiiil, so what would happen to all of those tenants?

However, amongst all of this silly stuff is some really strong, emotional, heartrending writing in the form of the death of Sarah's mother. In my opinion this part of the book was stronger than anything in the rest of the story. In fact, I found some of this really hard to read because the emotion suffered by Sarah was really devastating.

So, I found this a very inconsistent read, on one hand, silly plot-lines, eviiillll father and on the other hand, some really deep emotion prose.

Time/Place: Victorian England/Scotland
Sensuality Rating: Hot
Rating:

1 comment:

Melissa said...

OMG. I was laughing so hard at your opening line. I plan to miss this one though. What is going on with all these bad reads lately. I think they need some fresh blood, say people like KS or MS. :)