Tuesday

Say Yes to the Duke by Eloisa James

June 16, 2020
This book goes great with homemade bread.

https://www.eloisajames.com/

I think I might have added a few pounds during this time-period. However, I managed to experiment with lots of yeasty homemade bread. Yum!!

Once again we are returning to Eloisa James' Wilde family, and that wonderful big-skirt time-period, Georgian England. Say Yes to the Duke is about Viola, who has always felt that she does not really belong. The Wilde family has never done anything, which should make her feel as if she is not one of them. I was scratching my head as to why she was so pouty-faced about not being a "real" Wilde.  Of course, it has been awhile since I read the last book in the series, so I do not really remember what the theme of the series was. I do remember that I may not have been too fond of some of them.

Viola is a shy heroine. I have a fondness for shy heroines, being one myself. Also, being one myself, I can spot a fake shy heroine from miles away. So, when Viola says some snide comments, and gains attention from our hero, rake, handsome guy, Devin, the Duke of Wynter, I could only shake my head and smile. Shy people only dream of saying mouthy, clever things to handsome rakes. I also believe that most handsome guys usually only have eyes for giant bazookas, and tend to ignore the shy mouse in the shadows. But, I moved past that issue, and continued on with a delightful read.

Here is the set-up. Shy Viola is in love with the local studly minister. That minister is engaged to the stories requisite battle-ax. Devin is the books cold, unlovable hero with a secret. He also has a bloodless marriage plan. When Viola confronts Devin with some snappy verbiage, Devin’s interest is piqued. He decides to pursue Viola, even though he still intends his marriage to be a, you-go-your-way-I'll-go-mine plan.  While not an uproariously funny couple, Devin and Viola made me smile.

It is not long before Viola and Devin become friends. Then they are caught in a compromising position, and are forced into a betrothal. They fall in love quickly, so most of the book is without a lot of tension. For me, at this point, I was ok with things being resolved pretty early on. There was still more in the book, a little bit of a distraction created by a secondary character romance. While at times the secondary romance provided some screw-ball comedy, it was also a bit of an irritant. I found the two secondary characters to be a little spineless, and I'm not sure how exciting their sex life is going to be. For all I know, they may never have one. It took Viola an awfully long time to stop mooning over the minister with a noodle for a backbone, but eventually she does.

For me, at this time, this book hit the spot.  Say Yes to the Duke was a sweet story. Who knows, maybe in later years when I reread it, I'll wonder why I liked it, but there wasn't any huge moments of stress in this story. And, that's just what I needed.

Time/Place: Georgian England
Sensuality: Warm/Hot

4 comments:

Phyl said...

I'm in the middle of listening to this and enjoying it very much.

SidneyKay said...

Phyl: who is reading it?

Phyl said...

Sorry. I kept forgetting to answer this. Susan Duerden. She's read the whole series so far.

SidneyKay said...

Phyl: she must be good. Sometimes a "reader" can ruin a book. While not a romance, one of my favorite audio book series is Harry Potter, read by Jim Dale. He's great at putting just the right inflection to the words.

Thanks