Saturday

A Royal Kiss and Tell by Julia London

June 27, 2020
What can I say?

https://julialondon.com/
I tried, I really tried. I will admit I am not a big fan of stories with princesses and princes. So, I was prejudiced going into this story. You never know…some authors can rise above it. But, usually their characters are likeable.

I could not get past a heroine who is full of herself. She’s obnoxious not quirky. She also doesn’t seem to have any concept of court etiquette, or how one is supposed to talk to royalty. Even I know, there are procedures one follows when one is in the same room with a royal person…and, I’ve never been close to one. There are all kinds of rules one must follow. I found the whole routine of a pushy, obnoxious woman irritating. She was like a bad rendition of the Unsinkable Molly Brown. Brash, rude, and unlikable.

While not as bad as the heroine, the hero was a whiner. He is the second son; he is a boo-hoo-I-don’t -have-anything-to-do-because-I’m-second-in- line-to-the-throne. Like the heroine, he is also full of himself, but in his case it’s because he is royal and expects to be treated as one…unless he’s whining about being treated like a royal. He wants to be treated like a royal, but whines about being royal. I just couldn’t get past the first few chapters, maybe it got better later on, but honestly, I didn’t have the patience to continue.

I cannot recommend this book.
Time/Place: 1846 Alucia, I guess
Sensuality: Don't know

No comments: