Wednesday

The Second Seduction of a Lady by Miranda Neville

November 21, 2012
I have good reasons for hating marriage... Let's see, ur... It's coming to me, just a minute... Wait, I'm thinking... Nah, that's not a good one.

http://www.mirandaneville.com/

The Second Seduction of a Lady, a short story or novella - whatever - let's just say it's very short - by Miranda Neville happens to be a prequel to her new series, The Wild Quartet.

Because it is a short story, the reading goes by rather fast. There isn't anything too deep, too emotional, although there is an occasional glimmer of semi-character building.  And, there is one very interesting secondary character.

What we do have in this novella is a very cold, uncompromising heroine, Eleanor, who is at her best when surrounded by her unusual family.  I liked Eleanor when she exhibited some of her hidden humor - didn't care for her too much when she was on a "I hate marriage" tangent.  I didn't think her reason for disliking marriage justified her strong aversion to it.  It was over the top.

Then we have our controlling, I-stole-the-heroine's-magic-bud hero Max.  I sort of liked Max, except he was always scheming lying, controlling.  And, let's face it, the story was just too short to explain away all of his shenanigans. 

Next, we have our scene stealer, Caro.  What a gem!  She was funny and I just loved all of her over dramatic teenage theatrics.  She is the heroine of the next book, The Importance of Being Wicked.

I felt the book was too short for some of the development that should have happened; however, as a prequel it must have done it's job, because I intend to pick up the next book.


Time/Place: Georgian England
Sensuality: Almost Hot

No comments: