Monday

A Notorious Countess Confesses by Julie Anne Long

November 5, 2012

"Mister Bluebird on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actch'll
Ev'rything is satisfactch'll"
- Ray Gilbert & Allie Wrubel

http://www.julieannelong.com/
Gather around my little kid-does.  We got us a winner!  A Notorious Countess Confesses is one to be savored.  Now, it may seem strange, but I find reviewing a good book harder to do than one not so good.  There is always a chance that one will be too flowery with one's praise.  I know my radar goes up when someone just luvs-luvs a book.  Well, I have to say this is one gem of a book.  May be spoilers.

Welcome back to Pennyroyal Green, the wonderful community created by Julie Anne Long.  I love series' that are set in little towns!  Let me introduce you to one of the finest mismatched couples created.  We have Adam, the vicar and Evie, the courtesan.  Neither one of these character types is high on my favorite list.  A vicar just doesn't strike me as exciting hero material.  And, as far as a courtesan, there are just way too many fake boo-hoo romance courtesans out there.

But then, in walks Ms. Long, a truly dynamic writer.  In her hands a vicar who, while he may be perfect, is no zealot.  He's smart, has a sense of humor, caring for his flock and oh yes, extremely handsome.  Most of the women in the community drool over him, hang on his every word and dream of being his right hand woman.  He is overloaded with jams and honey from his adoring female parishioners.  He is used to their adulation, so when a beautiful stranger falls asleep during one of his sermons, he is intrigued as well as a little insulted.

That beautiful woman is Evie, our heroine.  I loved Evie; she was a strong, smart woman.  She makes no apologies for her past, but she has one desire and that is to have a friend.  A female friend.  So, she enlists Adam's help in trying to reach this goal.

I can't say enough about how interesting these two people were.  They both know that they are worlds apart.  They are both very much aware how damaging a relationship between them would be.  But, hey this is romance and we all know resistance is futile.  In the hands of Ms. Long, their struggle turns into a very romantic love story.  The dialog was so wonderful, it had me posting notes all over the place.  Right from the beginning, I wanted to see just how Ms. Long would resolve this couples vast differences.  I was eager for it to end, yet at the same time I wanted to stretch this story out just a little longer.  I even found myself experiencing anxiety over Evie's eventual pain.  Some really great writing.

Now, was it perfect? Well, I had a bit of a problem with the eye brow raising, rainbow gleaming, blue birds tweetin', butterflies flying around my head ending.  It was just a little bit overwhelming, a little sappy.  And although some of my favorite Bible quotes were there, it was just a little too much.

However, even with the Zip-a-dee-doo-dah ending, this is a book that shouldn't be missed.  I highly recommend A Notorious Countess Confesses!

Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality: Mildly hot

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Kay!

That was a perfect review of this book! Loved it so much I shared it with JAL on her wall on FB!

Thanks for always speaking your mind and making reviews so much fun to read!

Mel

SidneyKay said...

Mel: Thanks...great to hear from you!!!

Melissa said...

Great book!