Thursday

C. S. Harris continuing saga

June 2, 2011

This series is really starting to become exciting!

http://www.csharris.net/

Why Mermaids Sing, the third installment of Sebastian St. Cyr series, started out slowly, but by the time I was half way through I was engrossed in the mystery. With the third book, the mystery is on the same par as the character development and other story lines that are going on in this series.

Now, the review for Mermaids comes with a warning - I wouldn't advise eating lunch and reading this book at the same time. There are some pretty gruesome goings on in this tale - but it's all very engrossing - in a Hannabal Lector kind of way.

There are all manner of adventures in this story - and, once again we get to visit Sebastian and his peeps. I hope that the author soon drops the feral description of Sebastian's eyes... after reading three books in a row, I'm getting a little tired of hearing about his yellow night vision eyes. There are other repeating descriptions, Hero has brown tight hair, Paul doesn't have a leg, Kat smells when she enters a room...I guess that's what happens when you read one book right after another.

I found the mystery in this book to be totally absorbing and much to my surprise, I didn't spot the killer! And, there are some big BIG BIG secrets in this tale that we are let in on - some surprises with Kat and Sebastian - and more hints of secrets to come.

So, if you became discouraged with the first two in the series, I would encourage you to continue on with St. Cyr because they are just getting better. As I said before, the other two books had weak mystery elements, but in this one Ms. Harris has written what I'd call a true mystery/crime/murder story.

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Don't blink

Where Serpents Sleep is the best book in the series to date. I love these characters! The mystery is solid - the supporting cast is great - and Sebastian just keeps getting better! And, gee I wish this was a romance because the dynamics between Hero and Sebastian just scream HEA! For me, I'm glad Hero is in the picture; I never cared for Kat as a heroine. I have to say I really like Hero Jarvis. I think she makes a great partner for Sebastian. Hoping they will become a husband and wife team.

Without going into spoiler territory, the way Ms. Harris wove her way through all the convoluted plots into one great conclusion was awe-inspiring and I was surprised at who turned out to be the killer. There were less of the secret background stories going on in this book, but all of my favorite characters were there and they are continuing to grow. And I love the new valet!

I recommend both of these books, but you should read the entire series just so you can become familiar with Sebastian St. Cyr's world.

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Don't blink

No comments: