Thursday

The Duchess Hunt by Lorraine Heath

October 28, 2021
We’re on a Roll!!! A Roll of One!

https://www.lorraineheath.com/
It’s telling isn’t it, when one becomes excited about “one” new book.  It’s just that I’ve been having quite a dry spell with new books this year. Bless Lorraine Heath. She has made me a happy camper. I will admit, I did open The Duchess Hunt with trepidation, but I soon found myself smiling. We were first introduced to luv couple in the previous book, Scoundrel of My Heart. And here’s a first, I actually remembered them. I remembered the Duke of Kingsland because he was such a bonehead, and I wanted him to get his comeuppance. I knew when I read that book, that the shadowy figure of his secretary, Penelope Pettypeace, would be the one to see that he got what he deserved. Scary thing…I was expecting a lot from The Duchess Hunt. So, thank you Lorraine Heath for not making me break down in tears. I did not do any boohoos.

Penelope is supposed to be finding Kingsland a bride. This is the second attempt at finding this man a bride. It’s not an easy thing, because he is a bonehead. But never fear, Penelope is a very efficient person, everything she does is correct. If she has to find a bride for the man she loves, she will find the perfect mate for him, even though she will be blue. She will also probably have to look for another job. She’ll probably buy one of those little Cotswolds cottages. After all, who wants to continue working for a man one secretly loves, and be forced to watch him with his new wife. It doesn’t really matter if it’s not a love match. Just to watch the man you love walk up that stairs to his wife’s bedroom would make even Snidely Whiplash cry. Why hasn’t Penelope done anything about Kingsland? Why hasn’t she made a play for him? Penelope has loved Kingsland for a long time, but she’s never attempted anything because she considers herself not good enough, and she’s got a secret!!! They both have secrets! Let me tell you, Kingsland secret is a doozy!

Kingsland depends on Penelope, and he maybe sort of thinks he loves her, or something. He doesn’t quite understand why he feels some of the things he feels when his right-hand woman walks into the room. He scowls when other men find her attractive, he even fumes. She is his bestest friend, but why does he watch her hips when she walks away? I loved Kingsland struggle with his feelings for Penelope. And, he struggled with them for quite a while.
 
As a couple, Penelope and Kingsland were great. They depended on each other, they talked to each other, they just didn’t tell each other their secrets. Oh well, can’t have everything.

The secondary characters were interesting, especially the Chessmen. I will be honest, I was distracted by this group of men. I had to stop reading my book and do a bunch of Googling to see if they were in some other series. It would be nice if books came with warnings such as: “Warning, there is an entirely new group of friends in this book. They will eventually have their own series! Do not look them up! Do not think you have heard of them before! They are new!!! Do not waste your time searching Google, the author, Fantastic Fiction, or Goodreads!! You have never seen them before!  And, get a life!”

Overall, I liked this book a great deal. I thought the writing was superb, and the romance was…romantic. I didn’t have any big issues with this story. I was just so happy to have a book I actually enjoyed reading. I do recommend this story.
 
Time/Place: England 1874 - Bustle Alert
Sensuality: Warm/Hot

No comments: