Tuesday

Holiday Anthologies: A Victorian Christmas, A Mistletoe Christmas, A Yuletide Kiss, Kissing Under the Mistletoe

October 18, 2021
Bunches of Holiday Treats!

Yes! It’s that time of year when the book market is flooded with itsy-bitsy holiday stories. Why are we so happy when this happens? First of all, it seems as if we are reading more, but we are really not. But who cares!!!! Secondly, it’s a great way to find new authors! And, I’m happy to say, I found some authors I’m going to check into.

Let’s take a look at some of the holiday treats I have indulged in so far! By the way, short story=short review.

The first anthology was A Victorian Christmas. We have three authors: Carla Kelly, Carol Arens, and Eva Shepherd. I could find no connection between the stories other than these are Harlequin authors and they are writing about holiday romance.

A Father for Christmas, by Carla Kelly. One word: charming. You know it’s been a while since I’ve read Ms. Kelly. I think it was back in 1998, but who’s counting. Anyway, I think I’ll take another look at her library. I loved everything about this story. Great chemistry between the hero and heroine, and a wonderful, scene-stealing child. This story made me smile. 
B+

A Kiss Under the Mistletoe, by Carol Arens. This story did not make me smile. There wasn’t any chemistry between the h/h. Not fond of this short story.
C-

The Earl’s Unexpected Gifts, by Eva Shepherd. All I can say is; a short story which was a DNF. I just could not connect with the people in this story.
DNF

So, A Victorian Christmas had one story out of three that I liked. In fact, I would have to say I loved Carla Kelly’s story. Because of that I was glad I paid the price of admission.

Next book of the holiday anthologies was A Mistletoe Christmas. The stories in this anthology were connected. For this book we were all invited to the annual revelry of the Duke of Greystoke. Participating in the revelry were Eloisa James, Christi Caldwell, Janna MacGregor, and Erica Ridley.

A Mistletoe Kiss, by Eloisa James. You know, I’ve been reading Ms. James for a long time, and she can really write nasty family members. This one has a horrible father, the duke. He treats his daughter, Cressida, like a drudge. Cressida has never stood up to her father. Cressida has also been given a bonehead hero, Elias, to moon over. Lady Cressida should have packed her bags and hopped a ship to Tahiti. I didn’t think this story was very holiday-ee
C

Wishing Under the Mistletoe, by Christi Caldwell. For this holiday tale we have a couple who don’t talk. They are engaged. He ignores her, she wants attention. She leaves him for ten years, then they meet again at the party. This time they talk. But, I have to ask: why ten years? Why not five, or three, or one. Why so long? Beside that mystifying question about the number of years apart, I also found the heroine rather annoying. 
C

Compromise Under the Mistletoe, by Janna MacGregor. Another separation. This time the couple is married, and they also don’t talk. They do have lots of sex, and then don’t talk. A holiday misunderstanding story.
C+

Mischief and Mistletoe, by Erica Ridley. A spinster writer meets a dishonest hero. Not holiday-ee.
C-
 
Overall, I didn’t get too much happy holiday spirit out of any of these stories. And by the way, if you have a character who shows up in all the stories, and he's supposed to be despicable, make sure his horrible personality is reflected in all the stories.

Next group is A Yuletide Kiss. Contributors to this anthology were: Sabrina Jeffries, Madeline Hunter, and Mary Jo Putney. Look out! Veteran writers! These short stories take place during a snow storm with a bunch of stranded travelers.


When We Finally Kiss Good Night, by Sabrina Jeffries. It’s been a while since I’ve read Sabrina Jeffries, which means I have not read any of her latest books. That means I am not familiar with the couple in this story, because they are a part of a series. First of all, I found Flora to be annoying. While I enjoyed the Christmas decorations, I could not find any chemistry between Konrad Juncker and Flora Younger.
C

The Unexpected Gift, by Madeline Hunter. This one had possibilities. I loved the beginning of this story. We meet the owner of the inn, Jenna. Jenna is looking forward to some down time. She can hardly wait to cuddle up by the fireplace and be alone with her meager supplies. But then the storm starts, and then there is the injured stranger, and then there are all the other people who are going to other places. And, they are all stuck for a few days at her inn. I did like the interaction between Lucas and Jenna. I liked the narrative of the stranded travelers. I just grew a little tired of Jenna being a doormat. But even with that, this was my favorite story of the group.
B+

When Strangers Meet, by Mary Jo Putney. A long time ago Daniel saved Kate, married her, then just disappeared. Oh, what a big ol’ coincidence that they should be stranded together at the inn. This story wasn’t bad, it just needed a longer format. 
B-

Overall, I enjoyed the Madeline Hunter story; I thought Mary Jo Putney’s story needed a longer format, but I didn’t care for Sabrina Jeffries tale. Two out of three…not bad.

Now for the last anthology I’ve read this month. Kissing Under the Mistletoe. By golly! I found two new authors I’m going to check out. The other author is already an auto-buy.

Great Scot, by Suzanne Enoch. A Christmas with the MacTaggerts! I will be honest, the MacTaggerts have not been my favorite Enoch series. I’ve had a hard time with the mother, and I’ve found the sons to be rather infantile. But this time the focus of the story is on Jane, a spinster (aren’t they all). Jane was a secondary character from one of the previous stories. Her hero in this tale is Brennan, a cousin to the MacTaggerts. He also happens to be a widower. I loved this story. The romance in this tale was delightful. For once the MacTaggerts were charming, and the bagpipes were noisy. This short story was a truly lovely holiday tale.
A-

Christmas at Dewberry Hollow, by Amelia Grey. Another treat. An outspoken heroine, Isabelle, and a loyal hero, Gates. These two embark on a search for a tree which has sweet heart initials carved on it.  It revolves around Gates grandfather’s desire to see the tree before he dies. This was a good story, and it made me feel good.
A

My Mistletoe Beau, by Anna Bennett. This story begins with Eva breaking into Jack’s house to steal back her father’s watch. A watch with sentimental feelings attached. There’s some great chemistry on display between this couple, and it was another feel-good story. I will definitely be looking into this author’s back log.
A

Overall, Kissing Under the Mistletoe was my favorite of all the anthologies I’ve read to date. I enjoyed alllll three of the stories in this book. While some authors may look at short stories as a way to get a quick buck, they should remember that it is also a way to make a reader want to buy their full-length stories.

Looking forward to more anthologies.

No comments: