Wednesday

Lilian and the Irresistible Duke by Virginia Heath

May 6, 2020
Look what I found in my TBR pile

https://www.virginiaheathromance.com/

Somehow, I overlooked this book. Well, I know how I overlooked it. That happens when you just keep purchasing new books, and the ones you haven't read move to the back, and then you forget about them. You’re too busy looking at the new ones. At least that's the story I'm sticking with.

Lilian and the Irresistible Duke is part of a series, but not a series written by Virginia Heath. The other books in the series are by other authors. I like the idea of connected books with different authors, and I think it's a good marketing ploy. However, I'm comfortable with Virginia Heath, and not so much the other authors in the series. I haven't made up my mind to go back and read the rest in the series. The other characters in the series make an appearance in this book, but I wasn't interested enough in their back-story to invest in the other stories. Now it’s time to talk about Lilian and the Irresistible Duke.

This book was a treat for me because it tells the story of an older couple. Yes, as much as some people may cringe at older people with feelings, I'll try to break it to you gently - there are still sparks after 40. In this book the heroine is 45-year-old Lilian, a widow, and our 48-year-old hero, Pietro Venturi. Pietro is a bit of a Lothario.

When the story begins, Lilian is taking a break from her life. Anyway, Lilian feels herself at loose ends. Her children have all married, her business no longer needs her around, and she doesn't really know what to do with herself - so she is on a holiday. She's visiting beautiful, warm Rome. She and her cousin, Alexandra are being tourists. While they are in Rome, they are staying at the villa of Carlotta, the Contessa di Bagnoregio. Carlotta turns out to be the sister of Pietro. Carlotta and Alexandra are doing a bit of matchmaking. Little do they know that Lilian and Pietro had previously met in England. There, they shared a carriage ride, and a kiss. Neither has been able to forget that kiss.

This story had some ups, but also some downs. On the up side, we have Lilian who happened to love her husband. Yep, no abusive husband for Lilian to get over. The only issue Lilian seemed to have, was what she was going to do with herself. She needs to feel useful. Another up for me was, the vivid beauty of Rome which sparkled throughout the story. This book is full of powerful descriptions of Rome, and its past. After an initial bumpy start, Pietro becomes a self-appointed tour guide. Lilian and Pietro spend long hours going from site to site. Along the way they become friends, and eventually they become passionate lovers.

On the down side. There was an over-the-top ex-mistress; horrible woman. She was an old-school mistress who just never gave up. She was mean, spiteful, and deceitful. For the most part, I found her to be a distraction to the story, and I didn’t think she added anything to the lovely flow of the book. Whenever she made an appearance in the story, it just seemed like filler. I also was not fond of the "break-up" of Lilian and Pietro. I thought Lilian's reaction to Pietro's past just a little irrational, and not in character. Or, at least the impression I formed of her character. But then she quickly changes her mind. Almost too fast. Once again it seemed like filler.

Overall, this is a pretty good story, and I do recommend it. I'm becoming more and more fond of Virginia Heath. In fact, she just may turn into an auto-buy. One thing I can promise you, if you read this book, you will grow to love Rome as much as Lilian did.

Time/Place: Italy/England Victorian Era?
Sensuality: Warm/Hot

No comments: