Monday

After the Dark with the Duke by Julie Anne Long

December 13, 2021
Well, That Was A Treat!
 
http://www.julieannelong.com/
What a nice surprise. You know, sometimes I forget how good Julie Anne Long’s writing can be. After the Dark with the Duke, is the fourth book in the Palace of the Rogues series. It’s a nice ending to the year.

When I started reading the story, I thought: uh oh! This book has some of my hot buttons. One of the big buttons was the age difference of about twenty years between the hero and heroine. On top of that, the antagonism between the couple in the beginning was also a little off-putting. But then I found myself being drawn into the story, and my buttons didn’t go off. I couldn’t put the book down.

Mariana Wylde is an opera singer, and she has been judged harshly.  She has been run out of her apartment, and seeks shelter at the Palace of Rogues boarding house. She has also been gifted with the unfortunate moniker of Harlot of Haywood. She is totally innocent of all the gossip, or at least the important parts. She’s tired of being judged wrongly, which is why James Blackmore, the Duke of Valkirk steps on all of her nerves.

James is a righteous dude. He is a legend, he is a hero. He is almost ready for a bronze statue at some park. He judges Mariana badly, and she bites back. Then one day his barbs cross the line of what is acceptable, and he is forced to apologize. They call a truce of sorts. That truce involves spending great amounts of time learning Italian. Makes sense to me. And then the magic begins.

The chemistry between these two is intense. Make sure you have a fan close at hand, because there are some hot, whankee-woo scenes in this book. Yipes!!!

And, let’s not forget the great cast of supporting characters. I love strongly written characters who maintain their charisma throughout a series. It was great seeing some of the permanent fixtures who live at the boarding house. It was as if I was with a group of my old friends.

Bottom line. I loved this book, and I highly recommend it. It may have started out trying to push my hot buttons, but I quickly got over that. This story has some great writing, great narrative, and great characters. A perfect gift for yourself for the holidays, and something to go back to later on in the year. Enjoy!
 
Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality: Hot!! 


No comments: