Monday

Her Gallant Captain at Waterloo by Diane Gaston

September 13, 2021
 I have a younger brother too…but he's not a slug!

https://www.dianegaston.com/
I think I’m in a mood. This one was hard to review for me. There was some really fine writing, especially the vivid description of the Battle/s of Waterloo. But the brother in this book was…how shall I put this nicely…a real scum-sucker. Diane Gaston’s latest, Her Gallant Captain at Waterloo brings us the story of Rhys Landon and Lady Helene Banes, a couple with a history.

It is the eve of the Battle/s of Waterloo, and Helene is in Brussels trying to find her idiot brother. Her brother has come to Brussels because he wants to watch the battle. He’s recently been elevated to a lord, but he is resentful and doesn’t want to be called a lord…unless it gets him into the Duchess of Richmond’s ball. He hangs out with the Duchess’s son, a real person by the way. He does all kinds of horrible things to his sister, ignores her, disappears, doesn’t tell her where he’s going. He doesn’t want anyone to tell him what to do. His sister, Helene, has a big “walk-all-over-me” sign pasted to her back. I detested her brother. Then I started wondering…just what does one do when one is related to an immature person who wants to be a spectator at a battle? I do remember my brother being annoying, but I don’t think he would have been as selfish as this guy was. Anyway, I didn’t like the brother. And, just so you know, there were spectators on some battlefields.

The romance. The romance between Helene and Rhys was a standard misunderstanding-I-hate-you. Then they talk, then they love each other again. So, it was just so-so.

The Battle of Waterloo. After I have whined about the horrible brother, and intimated that the romance was bland, let’s look at what really stood out in this story. I was overwhelmed with the feelings that were captured in this narrative of warfare. From the battle itself, to the Richmond ball, to the chaos of people trying to escape Brussels. It was all very intense. Helene’s flight to the battlefield, her helping with the wounded…once again all tense-filled moments.  The aftermath of battle…all so devastating.  The writing in this part of the book was superb.

Even though the romance was just passable, and the brother was one of the most immature men I’ve seen in a long time, I have to recommend this book. The tale of the battle, and its aftermath was a most powerful story to behold.
Time/Place: Waterloo/Brussels
Sensuality: Warm
Waterloo/Brussels: A
Romance: B
Brother: D

No comments: