Thursday

Bridgerton Rambling Continued.

 January 21, 2021

O’ to be a spoon
Yes, I never thought I would want to be a utensil, but after watching Netflix’s Bridgerton I decided maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. Hand me a fan, puleese. 
 
This is my second meandering excursion into Netflix’s Bridgerton, a show that I am now obsessed with. I am not alone in this. If you don’t believe me just do some Googling, YouTubing, or TikToking. I’m thrilled that a romance novel has been brought to life in this manner. Random thoughts ahead:
 
Wouldn’t Lord of Scoundrels make a great series? Beside the main story, there are four books in that series: The Lion’s Daughter, Captives of the Night, Lord of Scoundrels, and The Last Hellion. Lisa Kleypas also has some great books which would transfer wonderfully to the screen. I also think Ms. Kleypas has connected each of her historical series books to each other. A large number of her historical books connect to each other.

To the writers and actors of Bridgerton. I’ve been listening to your interviews. Love them. However, let me explain a few things to you. 

1.. Julia Quinn has some great comedic writing in her books, I wish more of that would be used in the screen adaptation. 

2. The literary Anthony would never force his sister to marry a toad. In fact, while overprotective, he allowed Dapne to make up her own mind. 

3. To Rege-Jean: Romanceland novels have HEA endings, the hero of one book becomes the wise adviser in the next book. That would mean that Simon will pontify all the things the next hero is doing wrong. He will do it in a funny, clever way. Sometimes he will do it in a sarcastic way. He will also have scenes where he is viewed in the bedroom talking to his wife (the previous heroine). Their connubial bliss will make future heroes in the series sick to their stomach. That is how heroes work in Romanceland. By the way, your characterization of Simon is spot-on.

4. Infidelity is a big no, at least in romance books. If there is any, then if would be classified in a different book genre. Or, it could be found in a Mary Balogh, or older bodice ripper story.

5. Loved Lady Danbury. Loved the Lady Danbury, Bridgerton brother’s scene. Adjoa Andoh played Lady Danbury exactly how I pictured her in the book. 

6. Loved the Queen Charlotte with King George scene. It was very poignant, great subtle acting on Golda Rosheuvel’s part.

7. Benedict. If there is more in the Bridgerton series, I will be very interested in seeing how they treat Benedict’s book. I love the way Benedict is being betrayed on the screen, but in his book, I found him to be a bit of a Bonehead. He’s a bit obsessive, and has no problems with using an underling for his own pleasure. He had no qualms about seducing someone in his employ, and that is a problem. So, we will see how that translates, if the series continues. 

Anyway, Lady Whisteldown just announced that the second season will start production in the spring of 2021. Here’s hoping I’m still around to see it.

No comments: