Friday

The Governess Game by Tessa Dare

September 21, 2018

At Last...
At last a good book has come along
My lonely days are over and life is like a song, la la
la la la la


http://tessadare.com/

Finally, a book I can gush about! I'm happy enough to burst into song. This may be one of my favorite book I’ve read this year. It may also be my favorite Tessa Dare book. The Governess Game is the second book in Tessa Dare’s Wages of Sins series. While it is true I was not impressed with the first book in this series, The Duchess Deal, I was enchanted by The Governess Game. It also prevented me from sleeping until I had finished and then I didn’t want it to end. Tessa Dare has stepped up her game. Why did I love this book so much? Well, my little Petunia's I'll tell you. The characters - the unforgettable characters. 

Before I begin, I am not getting paid for this review nor am I a friend of Tessa Dare’s – this review is a sincere love gush. Anachronisms. Yes, there were anachronisms throughout the book. However, in this case, I was so wrapped up in the story I ignored the anachronisms. Where to begin? Let’s begin with the wonderful characters – Alexandra Mountbatten and Chase Reynaud. Chase needs a governess. He really needs a governess. He has the guardianship of his two young nieces, Rosamund and Daisy. These children are also wonderful characters. They are also troubled children. They have been passed from one relative to another and now their Uncle Chase wants to ship them off to school. They have come to believe that no one wants them, and I have to say, I don’t think anyone does. These children have turned into agitators, devious-almost-bad-seeds and have driven off governesses, one after another. Chase, who is a rake, is desperate. Being the standard Romanceland rake, he just does not have time for these young girls – they scare him. Oh, I don’t mean they scare him like in Boo! No, they scare him because he is starting to care for them and being a rake, he doesn’t have time in his agenda for caring. He only has time for wine, women and song – not necessarily in that order and you may want to cross song off the list. So, Chase is desperate. Enter Alexandra.

You may or may not remember Alexandra from the previous book, The Duchess Deal. She’s the one who sets clocks with her handy dandy chronometer. She’s arrives at Chase’s place to fix his clocks. He’s busy making a manly-man room with a bed and mirror on the ceiling. When Alex shows up Chase mistakes her for the new governess. Even when she tells him the truth he is so desperate he offers her the job. She at first turns him down, leaves, loses her chronometer, returns and accepts the job. She immediately runs into trouble with the two girls. Thus begins the roller-coaster of character interaction. Alex is above all, an independent, strong, woman. We know that by her actions not by someone telling us.

I had a smile on my face throughout most of the book, why I even chuckled out loud a few times. Chase and Alexandra have great dialog written for them. They banter, they circle each other - it is all so charming. Alex is wonderfully practical, she is also very smart and soon the girls are responding to her. The chemistry between all of them was well written - Alex and the girls, Alex and Chase, Chase and the girls – all fully developed and at times even intricate.

As I said earlier, there were numerous 21st century references, but I didn’t find them irritating. In fact, I chuckled at a number of them – see, that is what happens when you are absorbed into the story.

I highly recommend this book. Let me repeat myself - I do believe it is one of the best ones I’ve read this year – and it’s been a looonnngg year. The chemistry between Alex, Chase, Rosamund, and Daisy was incredible. The dialog, humor and banter was great. It was awesome watching this couple overcome their insecurities and fall I love. Read this book.

Time/Place: Regency England - I think
Sensuality: Hot


And now for the real song lyrics:
"At last my love has come along
My lonely days are over and life is like a song, oh yeah
At last the skies above are blue
My heart was wrapped up clover the night I looked at you
I found a dream that I could speak to
A dream that I can call my own
I found a thrill to press my cheek to
A thrill I've never known, oh yeah
You smiled, you smiled oh and then the spell was cast
And here we are in Heaven
For you are mine at last"

Songwriters: Harry Warren / Mack Gordon - 1941

5 comments:

Phyl said...

I genuinely hate the fact that this was a DNF for me. I hate that I'm a stuffy stickler. But I guess I am. I couldn't get past the anachronisms. I tried. I really did.

Usha said...

Wow Kay, after such a long line-up of insipid reads. Only upon your recommendation and an elequent review, I shall give it a read. Thanks😊.

SidneyKay said...

Satwinder - hope you like it. Yes, it has been a long insipid year. If you don't like it, I will feel bad.

Phyl: sorry you didn't like it. See, I had a problem with the first book in the series, so I was concerned when I picked this one up. The older I get the more I come to realize that's it's all very subjective. I have tried to analyze why anachronisms bother me sometimes and don't other time - I have not come up with a good answer, except I liked the characters this time. I have been tempted to go back to some of the books I DNFed to see if time/mood/whatever has changed my mind. Hey, that may be my next project when I'm looking for something to read. I'm going to have to think about that one for awhile, I already read a number of bad books without reading a bunch I know I didn't like the first time. What do you think? I wonder if I could muddle through it.

Phyl said...

You should probably try it. I didn't really like the first book in the series, either, but the plot for this second one is my catnip and it was getting so many rave reviews. You're right, our reaction to books is very subjective indeed. And may be quite dependent upon what's going on in our lives at the moment. It probably is worth re-visiting her older books to see if you'd react differently today. I'll look forward to hearing about it. :)

SidneyKay said...

I think I will do a DNF project - go back a few years - pull a variety of authors out. I may regret it.