Tuesday

The Singular Mr. Sinclair by Mia Marlowe

August 21, 2018
AKA Alert

http://www.miamarlowe.com/
It’s been a while since I’ve read a full book by Mia Marlowe and I’m glad to see this is a
beginning of a series. I enjoyed reading the books she was writing jointly with Connie Mason. Then I remembered…she also wrote under the name of Emily Bryant. I remember being fond of those also. My fellow Petunia’s always check out that copyright information for the aka, you just never know who’s going to show up again.


Now on to the book and this will teach me to write my review as soon as I close the book. I do not remember too much about this story, which isn’t a good thing. I do remember that the hero, Mr. Sinclair is left-handed and as a child this caused a problem with his uncle. Somehow he joins the army and makes a great career out of it. Travels the world, mixes with people of the world, see sights and sounds which a lot of people in London society are isolated from. Of course, the army also means he sees things which are horrendous and do not make for a peaceful rest. He is back in London, has won accolades for his service to his country. He feels guilty for surviving. His best friend has brought him back to his house to stay. It is here that he meets our heroine, Caroline.


Caroline is a snob and so are her friends. They view Sinclair’s efforts to blend in with society as close to buffoonery. Her friends are vicious women and I hope that they are not going to be heroines in future books, because I could not like them. 


I’m not sure why Romanceland has a tendency to think of anyone who hasn’t grown up in the isolated atmosphere of London society as idiots, buffoons, uncouth people. There were other societies in the world which were just as sophisticated and culturally advanced as London. The three women in this book, looked down on Sinclair, they were snide, catty and spoiled. But their duty was to bring Sinclair into London’s glitter.


This was a slow book, the romance lacked chemistry, but because I am familiar with Mia Marlowe aka Emily Bryant’s writing, I will probably give her next book a try. I'm giving this a luke-warm recommendation - don't blame me if you don't like it.


Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality: Warm

No comments: