Wednesday

His Lordship's Last Wager by Miranda Davis

January 24, 2018
Yeahhhh!!!

It's been a long time, almost 5 years since Miranda Davis' last book. Finally - finally!!! The wait was over! I put all my other books aside and plunged in. Before I begin, I must say I read my story with a Nook device and there was a formatting snafu which I found irritating, but I learned to live with it. Back to the story. Miranda Davis writes books which are longer than most other romance books around. And, while I am one of the people who continue to whine about the need for longer romance books, this story could have been edited down just a tad. There were just some scenes which were superfluous. However, even with the weird formatting and extra scenes, I had a smile on my face. It was just great to have a new Miranda Davis story in my hands.

For me, His Lordship's Last Wager was a delightful book and mostly a pleasure to read. Was it as sensational as The Duke's Tattoo? No, but it's still very good. We are reintroduced to Lady Jane Babcock, a not so nice secondary character from The Duke's Tattoo, and Lord Seeyle Burton, one of the Four Horseman of Apocalypse. And, after reading it I decided to reread the other two - just so my memory would be restored. I'm not sure if it was the formatting or the story but I had a hard time starting the story. However, I eventually found the author's rhythm and I was finally able to enjoy the story without too much distractions.

The best part of the book begins when it turns into a road trip story. Jane and Seeyle are great fun as they journey across the country with a big brown bear. There are tons of improbable turn-of-events, a lot of silliness, and things that wouldn't really happen - but it's all great fun. This part of the book was well written and highly enjoyable. It was also fun to have the four horsemen back together again. There were numerous scenes in which the four friends were friends, with all the jabbing, witty exchanges, and loyalty that happens in a true friendship.

Overall, this was a fun read, full of great secondary characters and a fun romance couple. It was great having Miranda Davis' newest book in my hands. While it may not have reached the heights of the first story, it was still good and I do recommend it.


Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality: Warm

2 comments:

cathieinva said...

Is she working on the 4th Horseman's story....it's been so LONG!

SidneyKay said...

Cathleinva: This is Ms. Davis' comment from Goodreads "Smoke signals? I'm so sorry I haven't been on Goodreads for a loooong time. I am neck deep in life stuff at the moment and not writing at all. I will blog here if I get back to it. I apologize but hope to write it someday"

It looks like it may be a loooong time, if ever that we see another book from Ms. Davis. Another of life's disappointments...first it was no Simon at the Pall Mall game, then it's no book from Ms. Davis.