Thursday

I Kissed an Earl by Julie Ann Long

I hates pirates! I dares ye to find a Fabio anywhares, matey!
http://www.julieannelong.com/index.shtml

I'm not sure why I don't like pirate stories. Eons ago, pirates
flooded Romanceland. Maybe that's it, maybe over saturation... and one of
Romanceland's classics, "Windflower," is after all a pirate story. I suspect though that it's because I have to really suspend belief to actually think that any woman on board a pirate ship is going to find romance, but I might be wrong. I just have never viewed a pirate as romantic.

But back to I Kissed an Earl by Julie Ann Long. This is the fourth in the Pennyroyal Green series. This is the story of Violet Redmond and Captain Flint. To be honest with you, I really didn't like Violet. I thought she was spoiled and oftentimes cruel to the people around her. There were also a number of times when the TSTL routine kicked in. I did like Captain Flint, or at least what little we were allowed to see of him, because in my opinion this was more of a Violet book than a Flint book and I think that is one of the reasons I can't give it a better rating.

Except for some typo hiccups which made me read some sentences over, the writing was superb. Normally, when a typo or incorrect grammar jumps out at me, but the writing and the story are good, I can overlook those problems. After all, I myself am famous for "which do I use - 'a' or 'an', 'a' or 'an', 'a' or 'an', every single time! So, none of us is perfect!

I digress. Back to the book. I enjoyed the bantering between Flint and Violet - I love sarcasm! I loved the potato peeling scene with the Greek cook and later the HOT potato peeling scene between Flint and Violet. Never thought potatoes could be so sensual.

This is a good book, filled with strong writing. I just wish I could have had a little more of Flint's POV. And, by the way, what happens to Fatima, a loose end which wasn't tied? Also, Captain Flint isn't really a pirate, he's just chasing one, so close enough!

Also, if you want to irritate both friends and strangers alike, don't forget that annoying International Talk Like a Pirate Day, September 19th!

Time/Place: The High Sea or thar abouts, 1820
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

No comments: