Friday

To Beguile a Beast 3rd in the Legend of the Four Soldiers by Elizabeth Hoyt

http://www.elizabethhoyt.com/index.html

This is a Beauty and the Beast story, I'm not sure if I like Beauty and the Beast, maybe I'm just tired of them, because actually one of my favorite french films is La belle et la bĂȘte from 1946. I digress.

To Beguile a Beast is the story of Helen (a fallen woman) on the run from her lover, with her two illegitimate children. See, already something different in the heroine department. She arrives at the castle-steps of Alistair (the beast) and tells him he needs a housekeeper, whether he wants one or not. I loved that part.

The romance between the two main characters proceeds at way to fast a pace and so, some of the tension between the two was missing. This had the potential to be really a good love story, but it missed it by just a little. I didn't really buy the possessive ex-lover either, maybe he'll show up in the next book, but I thought this part of the book was a little weak.

What I thought was really strong in the book, was the relationship that developed between Alistair and the two children. It was really quite aw-shucking. However, don't get me started on lemons and his monstrously huge manhood.

In all fairness, this is not a bad book, it's just not a great book either. I do have high hopes for the fourth in the series To Desire a Devil.
Rating:
Sensuality rating: Scorching (even with a lemon)

No comments: