Friday

July Gets Raspberries!! Pbbbbt!

 July 30, 2021

July – Pbbbbbbbbtttt!

You might assume that I have read only one book this month. I bet you’re saying…my, my, she’s one busy girl! Yeah that’s me, I’m really busy. I’m busy falling asleep in my recliner at 7:30pm, I’m busy sweating from the 500-degree heat, I’m busy watching all the crime shows on Netflix, and I’m busy wondering why Rege-Jean Page doesn’t update his Twitter account every day. Maybe he’s busy. But this is about me, and my busyness. One could say I haven’t been busy finishing a book. I started six books this month. But, finally gave up, and reread three oldies. While I was rereading, I spent the time waiting for the new books to be released, and falling asleep in my chair.

The difference between a DNF and a “get-back-to-later.” A DNF book is a story that for a variety of reasons really, really gets on my last nerve. Regardless of my best intentions, I just cannot bear to read anymore of said book. A “get-back-to-later” book, is one that might eventually be a DNF, but at the moment I’m just not in the mood to read that style of story narrative. Maybe the writing is good, but I’m just not enthused enough to read about one more Duke with a crumbling-down estate, or a woman dressed in pants. The main difference between a DNF and a “get-back-to-later,” is there isn’t ever a chance that I will reread, or finish a DNF.

My July “get-back-to-later” list.

Janice Preston
https://janicepreston.co.uk/
The Cinderella Heiress. You know, I’m not too keen on rewritten fairy tales, especially Cinderella. Never fond of bullies. What I actually wanted this month was a book which would make me laugh. Both the heroine and hero are too much angst to be funny.

Candace Camp
https://www.candace-camp.com/
His Improper Lady. The tale of Sherlock Holmes meets Wonder Woman/Supergirl. I was not in the mood for a heroine who jumps over tall buildings.

Virginia Heath
https://www.virginiaheathromance.com/
The Marquess Next Door
This one almost became a wall-banger. What started as a fun book, turned into a big misunderstanding. Not only was it a big misunderstanding, it was a jump to the wrong conclusion, and then don’t ask questions misunderstanding. For right now, this book is still a “get-back-to-later” story.

Julia Justiss
https://www.juliajustiss.com/
The Railway Countess
A mathematical, I-want-to-be-an engineer woman.  She will never, ever marry!  If she marries she will never be an engineer!  Her husband will take away alllll of her freedoms! yada, yada, yada. Sigh. There has to be a nice guy out there somewhere, and a woman who will recognize him. I’m not in the mood for a disgruntled female. I need to meditate…ommmmm.

Caroline Linden
http://www.carolinelinden.com/
A Scot to the Heart
Continuing series of lost heirs trying to win an inheritance. I’m not sure I like the premise of being forced to kowtow to a controller. Oh yes, there’s another widow who doesn’t want to get married again.

Harper St. George
https://www.harperstgeorge.com/
The Devil and the Heiress
A secret female author, and an aristocratic man who owns a gambling club. Just how many gambling houses were there in London, and did aristocratic men really own them?

Now, I end my sad tale of woe. We will put these stories aside for later. Maybe next time I won’t fall asleep in a chair. Besides that Lisa Kleypas’ latest just came in… things seem to be looking up!

No comments: