Wednesday

The Unexpected Guest by Deborah Simmons

October 16, 2019
A Little Holiday Gem

http://www.deborahsimmons.com/

Recently, Deborah Simmons released one of her short stories to electronic format: The Unexpected Guest. The Unexpected Guest is part of her deBurgh family series. Thanks to the procrastination or whatever of the publisher, Ms. Simmons does not own alllll of her deBurgh books. As with numerous other authors, there doesn’t seem to be a logical reason for publishers retaining ownership. Especially, when publishers are just sitting on the books and not doing anything with them.  I am not going to tell you who the publisher is, but their initials start with an H and end with a N. My mother had a saying that expresses my thoughts, but I’m toooo polite to repeat it. However, it had something to do with a pot and getting off it.

Anyway, back to Ms. Simmons’ The Unexpected Guest. The Unexpected Guest is a short story that takes place at Christmas time. I thought this story was charming when I first read it in 1999, and I’m happy to report that it still shines. The Unexpected Guest is about the deBurgh brother’s father Campion, and Lady Joy Warwick. I remember thinking when I read the other books in the series that their father was a scene-stealer. I always thought he deserved a romance of his own and not a flashback to one of his dead wives. I was tickled pink when Ms. Simmons came out with a story for him in 1999, and even more so when it turned out to be some mighty fine writing.

If you are in the mood for a good holiday romance book, I highly recommend this one. I think I shall revisit the rest the deBurghs. Sometimes it's nice to curl up with some old friends.

Time/Place: Medieval England
Sensuality: Warm

 

No comments: