Monday

The Gift by Julie Garwood - The Garwood Wayback Machine Project, no. III

March 25, 2019

Garwood Wayback Machine continued
https://juliegarwood.com/
Now, on to the third in the series – The Gift - 1991. I know all of you romance readers out there have experienced this. You read a book, and there is a scene you will remember forever. The problem arises when years pass. While you still remember very vividly a particular scene, you forget what book it’s from. You start rereading old romance books in search of it. You go online, hang out on message boards; sometimes you even get up enough nerve to send a “help me identify this book” message. Don’t lie, I know it’s happened to you. Well, when I started to reread The Gift I was smacked in the face with one of those scenes I’ve been trying to find alllllllll these years. Yes, yes, yes!!!! Now I can clear my mind of that little problem – I just have a gazillion more scenes to find.

The scene. We are witness to a wedding scene with a stoic groom and a drooling bride. The bride turns out to be four years old and the groom fourteen. They are, of course, then separated. Years pass and our hero, Nathan, has come to collect his bride. He hasn’t seen her in a while, for all he knows she could be as ugly as sin, but he’s willing to sacrifice. She, of course, isn’t anywhere close to being ugly – far from it. She – Sarah - is tired of waiting for her groom. She has sent unanswered letters to him over the years, and he’s never put in an appearance. When Nathan kidnaps Sarah, she’s more than ready to go. They board Nathan’s ship and are off on a grand adventure.

By the way, Nathan is the brother of Jade/Pagan from Guardian Angel, and he has taken the name of Pagan for his own. There is one problem with this: he gets sea-sick, which provides us with some funny scenes. Sarah is another one of Garwood’s innocent-charming female leads. She is a bit of a klutz; accidents happen when she’s around. This proves especially disastrous aboard a ship, and the crew at first wants her off. She damages the ship, injures members of the crew, even accidentally poisons them – but the crew is so captivated by her charm that they cannot hurt her feelings by rejecting her.

I feel as if I’m repeating myself. As with the other books in this series, I thought this book was great fun and I’m enjoying this reread a lot.

Time/Place: Regency England/Sea
Sensuality: Warm/Hot

No comments: