Tuesday

The Proper Wife by Julia Justiss, part of the Wellingford series glom

July 10, 2018
Two, two, two Unlikable Characters.

http://juliajustiss.com/
We continue our Wellingford family series glom with Clarissa and Sinjin, aka Colonel Lord
St. John Sandiford. In the previous book in this series these two characters were both pretty unlikable, so when I found out that they had their own book I thought, well, that’s interesting. Sure, sure Sinjin ended up saving our heroine from her TSTL moment at the end of The Wedding Gamble, but he made some pretty dishonorable suggestions concerning the woman he supposedly loved, so The Proper Wife comes with some built-in hills to climb. In The Wedding Bargain, these two were very unlikable. Clarissa was painted as a temperamental, spoiled, fit-throwing brat and Sinjin was shown to have dishonorable intentions. They were both in need of redemption. Did Ms. Justiss succeed? Not completely, but she could have.


When the story begins, these two immediately butt heads. Sinjin is looking for a proper wife, a calm wife, a woman who is not an aristocrat – some one quiet. Clarissa is none of these. Clarissa is quick to enter into numerous frays and scandals. She is a pretty heedless person, charges into things without giving much thought for the consequences. She is self-absorbed. She is everything that Sinjin abhors. I loved the beginning of this story when these two first encounter each other. Their banter and antagonism was a thing to behold. I had a lot of fun watching these two clash. I had a smile on my face through the beginning of the book. I wish it had gone on a bit longer. 

If the author had been able to keep the momentum between Sinjin and Clarissa going this would have been an excellent book. However, there were moments when our character did things which didn’t make sense, and I am becoming more and more fond of my characters' actions making sense. I find myself making notes as I read, asking “does this make sense?” Furthermore, what was a promising start to some pretty fun characters was soon replaced by that old Romanceland separation doodah. It’s hard to build a relationship if the couple aren’t together. Author’s - don’t separate your characters. How are characters supposed to banter if they are not together?

I was pleased to see the previous characters of Sarah and Nicholas make an appearance in this book. It allowed for some much needed loose end tying. There was also enough time given in the book for Sarah, Nicholas and Sinjin to forgive past mistakes and become friends. I was also pleased that Sinjin didn’t moan and groan over his lost love Sarah – at least not too long. When he falls for Clarissa, he really puts up a good fight. I just wish more time had been spent on the couple being together. They were just so much fun when they were together.

I liked this story better than The Wedding Bargain, but it still didn’t quite make it up to standards established in A Most Unconventional Match. I think if the author had given more together time to the couple, I would have found the book very delightful. As it is, it was pleasant but nothing earth-shattering. 

Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality: Warm

No comments: