Thursday

Pfffft!

September 14, 2017
Here's my update - three books. Two of the books I will be putting back in my TBR pile - not the third.

I must be getting old. I have discovered that I must not be a big fan of fan-fiction books,
which is what I understand My Fair Baron by Licie Laine is. I read a glowing review on this book and maybe because I was in a weakened mood and really really wanted something to read, I bought it.


I tried. I really tried. I'm always ready to give humongous praise to debut authors, but this story was just not my cup of tea.

It is 1900 England and we have a heroine who is also a novelist. She has just been informed that her brother is dead and in order for her to inherit the estate she must marry. Ok, I can live with that - although it's a stretch. Well, it seems her bestest friend Izzy, who is a Lady, is also a business woman. Not only is she a business woman, she is an underage business woman, an underage unmarried business woman who lives in 1900 England. Not only is she an underage unmarried business woman in 1900 England, she owns a brothel. I can live with that - but it's realllly a stretch. So, she owns a brothel, but she's a good brothel owner, she lets her peeps keep "most" of their money. Seems as if the brothel is a good money maker. Well it seems that Izzy has the perfect match for her friend, our heroine Claire. William. He works for Izzy. He cleans the stables, fixes things and entertains the ladies. He is also a Baron who isn't in society anymore - for some reason.

So, Izzy gets Claire and William together. They are going to pull the wool over society’s eyes and pretend they are a love match so Claire can get her estate. Now, why nobody thought peope wouldn't recognize William is beyond me. Not only is he a male prostitute who caters to the elite, he also at one time was part of society. I was confused, but I could live with it - almost. Izzy has a lot of plans and schemes and I think they are supposed to be funny - but I did not laugh.

I kept on, I tried until...You see there is this horrible gossip-mean-girl and she is gossiping about William when everyone is galloping in the park. In order to divert the gossip Izzy does something to Claire's horse, makes it gallop out of control - becauuussse... William will be forced to rescue Claire and gossip will be diverted. I rubbed my sinuses and put the book aside.

This was just not my type of book. It had the feel of being incomplete and sad to say I could not finish this story, there was just too much stretching of beliefs.

Time/Place: 1900 England
Sensuality: Wouldn't know

4 comments:

Usha said...

You are probably wondering "why this chick keeps writing to me." I feel your pain sister....I feel your pain. I have been in a reading slump for over a year and it ain't getting better. Is it me, am I making bad choices or once favourite historical romance authors are just not getting it done. I wonder and I slump.

Ps - I always look forward to your reviews.

SidneyKay said...

Satwinder - Thanks for commiserating. If I don't find something soon I will be through all my old books. I'm reading Mary Balogh's old novellas now - how sad is that? A novella!

Usha said...

I just re-read Lady Sophia's Lover and desperately waiting for a library e-copy of Someone to Watch Over Me.

SidneyKay said...

I just re-read The Proposition by Judith Ivory. Loved it. Love Lisa Kleypas.