Tuesday

How to Entice an Enchantress by Karen Hawkins

October 1, 2013
Oh that comfort zone!

http://www.karenhawkins.com/
You know I've been reading Karen Hawkins for a long time. I know when I open one of her books that I'm not going to have to deal with a bunch of angst-ridden people moaning and groaning, so she's reached that "old reliable" stage with me. Some of her books I just love, then there are others that just don't quite make it. Sad to say, what started out promising ended up being one that just didn't quite work for me. And, I can tell you in one word where the problem was - the heroine. Okay, that's two words.

How to Entice an Enchantress returns us to the Balfour sisters, along with a return of the matchmaking, lover-of-pugs, Duchess of Roxburghe. If any of you have read the previous books in this series, you should also recognize Alasdair, our hero. And, let me say, I loved Alasdair! If ever a male character can be called adorable, this one is it. He is one of those guys who just cannot-ever-say-the right-thing. Don't ever ask this guy if the dress makes your butt look big, because he's going to say yes and then add something like but the big butt distracts from the zit on your face. Alasdair just has no social skills; he just cannot lie about anything and because it's not aimed at me, but the heroine, I found his attempts to communicate to be funny, charming and at times poignant. For me Alasdair was a very sympathetic character. The only problem I had with him was his inability to admit that he loved our heroine, Dahlia.

Now, on to Dahlia. Dahlia will not accept anyone unless they confess their love for her. She's on the look-out for this love and it soon becomes very obvious that she has no idea what love is. She is totally blind to all the attempts that Alasdair does to make her happy. She just cannot see through his giant blunders to the man beneath. And, her reaction to the poem fiasco was downright deplorable. I really didn't like her at that moment. I had to scratch my head and wonder, just what does he see in her? 

Overall, I found the hero loveable, the heroine unlikeable, and the secondary characters adequate (except for Mary, who went from nasty to nice in the blink of an eye). I would have enjoyed this story more if I hadn't found the heroine to be so obnoxious. Alasdair was a great character; he deserved better.  

Time/Place: Regency England
Sensuality: Warm/Hot


No comments: