Monday

Scandal Wears Satin by Loretta Chase

July 2, 2012
Well, I'm gog-swaggled.  

What a terrific book.  I have to admit that after Ms. Chase's last book, which happened to be the first in her dressmaker series, I opened this book with a little trepidation. As it turned out, I needn't have worried.  Ms. Chase came through with flying colors, or should I say a cornucopia of colors.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading Scandal Wears Satin.

And do you know why?  The hero, Harry.  Oh sure, there's a heroine, Sophy.  And, I must say that Sophy is a wonderful heroine.  Smart, clever, devious...but Harry, well he's another kettle of fish.  Harry isn't clever; he has a hard time concentrating on things.  He doesn't like to think or puzzle things out.  Now in another author's hands I might have had a problem with the way Harry was portrayed.  But, Ms. Chase seems adept at changing not so brilliant men into charmers.  Remember Bertie from Lord of Scoundrels?  Harry is wonderful and when he realizes he's in love with Sophy, it is really quite a funny moment.

Together the smart Sophy and the not so smart Harry form a perfect fit.  They are humorous, and witty.  Their bantering made me smile and I love the "I'm leaving now" scene.

I also enjoyed the convoluted journey Ms. Chase detailed.  I marveled at how she managed to pull everything together for just the right ending.  I would love to study her writing technique. 

And, for all of you who read the first book, poor trod upon Clara makes an appearance in this one...I'm hoping she finally gets her own story.

This is a great read, fun couple, some really hot sex and the best in the series so far.

Time/Place: Mutton/Idiot Sleeve England time or Early Victorian
Sensuality Rating: Hot!

4 comments:

Tracy said...

Oh I'm loving this series. I thought Harry was wonderful. I didn't really think of him as "not smart" but just more of a common sense rather than book smart kind of guy. I thought he and Sophy fit together perfectly and I really loved the book.

Anonymous said...

I thought the book an enjoyable read, but I also think Ms. Chase is repeating types of pairings. Sophy/Harry are not much different from Jessica/Sebastian, Bathsheba/Benedict, Rupert/Daphne, Peregrine/Olivia. I'm beginning to think she is misandronistic.

dick

SidneyKay said...

Dick, I thought there was a certain sameness in her treatment of Harry and Bertie (brother in Lord of Scoundrel). But, I still enjoyed it and it hit the right spot at the right time.

Melissa said...

I was wary after the first book, but Harry does make this one enjoyable. There were moments I was annoyed with Sophy but moved past it. And I'm on pins and needles waiting to see Clara's story.