Tuesday

My Lord Scandal by Emma Wildes

April 27, 2011

Be careful what you wish for...
http://www.emmawildes.com/whatsnext.shtml

You know all those time when we Romance readers - don't slide into denial mode, you know who you are - whine about wanting honesty between our heroine and hero or we say, "If only he/she would have said something sooner" or "He/she kept the secret w-a-y too long!" Well, my fellow readers, My Lord Scandal is a book that is full of honesty!!! Yep, the two main characters talk to each other right from the beginning. If anything happens, if any stumbling block is thrown out - at any point in the story, they tell each other.

It was interesting to read a book that was actually about a couple who fall in love, are honest with each other, never have regrets after sex, and when he proposes, she accepts. None of that you're-too-good-for-me, my-father's-crazy-my-children-will-be-crazy, my-mother-was-a-slut-all-women-are-sluts, I-can-never-love-another stuff here. I actually liked this story, or at least the love story of Amelia and Alex, quite a lot. Dare I say it... except for the really hot sex, this story was almost sweet. This is a very endearing couple who learn to care for each other very much. It was almost too good to be true - there's just no pleasing me! Anyway, I did enjoy their story and found it a refreshing change.

But... there's always a but, isn't there? I said earlier that this couple didn't have any secrets. This doesn't mean there aren't any secrets in the story. Yes, there is a secret in this story, a number of them in fact, and our so adorable you want to squeeze them couple join forces to solve all of these secrets, along with Alex's two spy/ guy friends. There is a Capulet/Montague family feud going on, a mysterious key, mysterious notes being sent, and old family secrets - and it was all these secret shenanigans I found irritating. I thought they were a bit of a distraction from the wonderful love story.

This also happens to be a book that was in my TBR pile, and once again it was there because of a bad review. And once again, that will teach me.

So, if you are looking for a book that is full of tension, suspense and mystery... this isn't it, even with all the secret hubbub stuff. However, this is a book with a couple who treat each other with respect (and also can't keep their hands off of each other) and I found it a very satisfying read. I'm looking forward to the other two in the series (also in my TBR pile.)

Time/Place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: HOT!!!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I enjoyed the mystery and romance in this story, though I wanted to smack her father. The rest of the series remains strong and the heroes are quite dashing, though the honesty begins to slip.