Friday

Seducing the Governess by Margo Maguire

March 25, 2011

What we need here is a Vulcan mind meld.

http://www.margomaguire.com/

Where is Spock when you need him? Seducing the Governess was a s-l-o-w read and it shouldn't have been, because every once in a while there was some pretty emotional writing. However, it's always a bad sign when I can't tune out the nattering coming from the left side of the room. My husband's voice breaking through my Romanceland reading fog is my barometer as to whether I'm going to like a book or not.

The plot is an old one...the aristocrat and the governess, in fact, their meeting is a standard governess startles horse - ends up wet - muddy beginning. Nothing wrong with that, I find it rather funny actually. The problem I had with this book was the couple think! They think, they ponder, they ruminate...about each other...about sex and they do it (think), a lot. Over and over. Again and again. A gerbil might like to be stuck in a wheel that goes no where, but I don't. Without all that thinking there might have been room for some character development, to say nothing of all the mysterious whatzits going on. What really happened to Nash's brothers, where is Mercy's sister, why does the villain want the land, what's with the stewart, who's trying to kill Mercy, who's trying to kill Nash? While we are on the subject of all the mysterious happenings in Seducing the Governess, I want to speak about the very annoying detective. I suspect he is the hero of the sequel, however, I found his abrupt popping up/in/out throughout the story irritating. Very distracting!

There was a character in the book I really liked, the little girl, Emmy. When she was in the book, it took on a different tone and at times was very compelling, I just wish the rest of the book had matched that poignancy. It seemed to me that a really good tale was there, it was simply out of reach.

This isn't a bad book, it's just sort of average...and I think it didn't have to be.

Time/place: Regency England
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

4 comments:

Tracy said...

I liked this one. Yes, the popping back and forth between the two parts of the story was distracting but I felt that the attraction between Nash and Mercy was ok. Not as good as some, but not as bad as others. lol

SidneyKay said...

Tracy: This is my first experience with Margo Maguire and I'll probably read the next one. I usually don't quit on an author with just one reading. Although there are some I wish I had.

Anonymous said...

Just as a heads up:
The photo of the book you gave us is entitled "Seducing the Governess" but the review is titled "Seducing the Duchess". They may be one and the same and I just don't know it? Anyway, I noticed that and it seemed odd to me.
Thanks again for a great review!

SidneyKay said...

Anony: Thanks for bringing that to my attention...that's what happens when the light is shining on ones computer or how about my editor is on vacation.