Wednesday

His Christmas Pleasure by Cathy Maxwell

December 15, 2010

We have a winner!!!

http://www.cathymaxwell.com/

What can I say? I loved this book! I loved both the heroine, Abigail, and the hero, Andres. His Christmas Pleasure is filled with just the right amount of humor and enough pathos to ring a tear from one's eye or eyes, whichever the case may be.

I don't know where to begin, except to say that Abigail, a really delightful heroine, doesn't always make the right choices in men. And her heart is broken by one of those smarmy guys that just oozes charm. Andres, a hero with a lot of baggage, comes to the rescue. This couple steel away into Scotland and are married at Gretna Green. And it is a bumpy, enjoyable ride to the HEA.

What I loved about this book most of all was the humor. There were at least two scenes that were laugh out loud moments, so, that's always a plus for me. Then there are the two main characters. They are both searching for something; they're lonely people, they are honest with each other and they discuss what they are going to do about problems that might arise. By the way, one of those discussions about marital relations was a hoot. Now, when I say they are honest with each other, I mean they are mostly honest with each other. Andres has some major lies/secrets that he doesn't tell Abigail about, but this is not a major misunderstanding blowup. This is a couple that have individual yearnings and desires, a need to prove themselves. One of the almost tear-jerking moments occurs when Andres tells Abigail about his home in the country. A home, by the way, that he's never seen. He has created this wonderful fantasy in his head about his beautiful country house. And he precedes to create this story for Abigail and eventually has her believing it. When I read this part, I thought OMG, he's going to crash big time! And he does. The reality and the dreams just don't match. Let me tell you, when he sees his reality, a crumbling estate and no money, it has to be one of the most painful moments I've read in a novel in a long time... But don't despair! This is one romance couple that work through most of the hardships that get in their way. And I found myself rooting for them every bumpy step of the way to that HEA.

If I had any quibble with this book, it was with Andres' willingness to give up too easily and that the ending was wrapped up too neatly... but don't let that stop you from reading this.

Overall, this was a delight to read and I've found another book that I didn't want to end. This is a funny, heartwarming story with a truly adorable couple. It is filled with everything a romance should be filled with, and I'm adding it to my favorites list.

Time/Place: Regency England/Scotland
Rating:
Sensuality Rating: Hot

1 comment:

Melissa said...

The characters are so sad in their loneliness and the fact they stumble into each other's lives and you can see the difference they make in each other is beautiful. A sweet story.